Jack

Jack
Jack Sparrowe, trail companion Jan 2012

Monday, April 16, 2012

April 15... Ski Dog!

Jack and I went up to Carson Pass, near Red Lake early this morning with our friends David and his Pomeranian:  Max.  This was his first experience with snow.
It turns out that Red Lake is a free for all for snowmobiles from Nevada now.
So, we made the strategic decision to ski up a watershed away from the road where the nasty machines were roaring around.
It was a pretty good climb, but the day was beautiful and warm, the snow only a day or so old.  Jack was post-holing and galloping around like a floppy Fozie Bear from the muppets.  Once he figured out that if he stayed behind us on our ski tracks, he wouldn't sink in, he did just great.  In fact, he figured out that he wouldn't sink in at all if he stood on the back of my skis!
After we crested the top and started back down, Jack got very tired.  So we took a break, ate a snack and I gave him his second prednisone of the day.  He rebounded completely in about 20 minutes.
We skied back down to the trailhead without any incident, other than my getting my forearms sunburned.  I've been doing this long enough that you'd think I'd have learned....
Anyway, a beautiful day on the snow, and Max and Jack seemed to have a great time.  Jack is a little tired today, but he doesn't seem stiff at all.  His tail is up and he's smiling, so I don't think we overdid it.

1 comment:

  1. And all my worry for nothing.... Except he was a little subdued on our run this morning. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete