Jack

Jack
Jack Sparrowe, trail companion Jan 2012

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cleo and CCD...

Our first dog, Alex, had Canine Cognitive Dysfunction.  In his later years, we'd catch him staring into a bookcase, like he was looking for something, and forgot what he was looking for.
It's very much like human Alzheimer's Disease.
Cleo is clearly demonstrating CCD.  Poodlezheimers.
We discovered that Cholodin made a huge difference in Alex.  In fact, once we started him on it, his attention picked up the very next day.
I've had Cleo on Cholodin for quite some time, in a fairly haphazard way.  Sometimes she'd get it and sometimes she wouldn't.  Until I ran out the other day.
She's been having trouble for almost a year with her appetite.  She tells me she's hungry, but refuses all kinds of good things to eat.  Yesterday, I couldn't get her to eat anything.
We went through the refrigerator: roast beef?  Nah... How about liverwurst?  You can't turn down liverwurst... Meh...  Roasted broccoli?  ChickenStick(one of her favorite junk foods from Trader Joes).. *sniff.... Nah.  I cooked some rice in lamb stock.  Ground beef.  Nothing.
After Jack and I returned from agility at 8:00pm, I grilled some chicken thighs, cut up the skin and fried it.
Finally, she ate a little of that.
I have more Cholodin on the way, but this morning she was pretty vague.  I got her to eat some of the chicken from the night before, and we had a little walk.
The vet had no real advice for us with Alex, and we in fact turned him on to Cholodin (I should have charged HIM for the visit).  We have a vet appointment next week, so perhaps there are other things available now.
Perhaps I'll just get: "well, she's old", that'll be $50, please.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, she's had a long life blessed with good health. I'm sorry to see the goofy puppy spirit recede into her old age, but it's just what happens. She still gets excited to go on her walks, and will jump around a little. We've been very blessed with Cleo.

      Delete