Jack

Jack
Jack Sparrowe, trail companion Jan 2012

Monday, June 4, 2012

A tiny 'ah-ha!'

Jack has been on 3/4 of a prednisone tab in the morning, and 1/2 in the afternoon since just before his last DOCP.  It occurred to me on a walk up by Lake Chabot this weekend, that this dosing might be the reason for his anxiety at the onset of our walks.
Once again, Jack was anxious going up the hill from Chabot Park, and almost had to be dragged.  We got just about to Bass Cove, and I gave him another quarter tablet (1.25mg) of prednisone.  Within 10 minutes, he was trotting down the trail, just like he and I used to do.
Understanding prednisone dosing is tricky.  It doesn't last all day in the system, like I've been expecting.  I'm thinking now that smaller 'regular' doses, say with breakfast and lunch, accompanied by micro doses, when going out for adventures might be the better way to give it.

We saw a Bald Eagle circling the lake, too!  Great day for wildlife.  Huge roaring bullfrogs, a bird I've never seen before (perhaps a Green Heron?  Wild looking, with a cry to match).  Turkeys up by the campground.

No comments:

Post a Comment